Wednesday, June 16, 2010

trinkets and emotions

Maybe its the gloomy rainy day, maybe its the fact that during a gloomy rainy day I am thankful for having an indoor job.  Whatever it is I am pretty emotional today and sappy!  Never a good combination!  But not in a bad way today.  I have really thought about the people in my life today and how thankful I am for them.

I have an amazing family that is there for me.  We are a bit whacked and put the "DYS" in dysfunctional but you know what?  We love each other.  I have awesome people that have become my family!  The boyfriends family has really become this huge extended part of my life.  I feel like I have additional sisters, mother and father, nieces, cousins, the works.  Very blessed that I have all these people!

And that leads me to trinkets.  I have pieces that I wear to remind me of people.  I wear a part of my mom every day.  Be it her ring, a pair of earrings or her watch.  There is something about having something she wore ON HER SKIN, on me that makes me feel like she still might be close.  Lately its a ring of hers, a simple silver ring with a heart shape on it.  Simple, like I am, not flashy like her.  Just a very little mark that has the symbol of love, just like her.  I miss her still, every single day!  There are times that I would give up nearly anything for one more conversation.  But its not going to happen.  So I keep parts of her close to me and talk to her in my head. It works, sorta.

I also have a very simple silver ring that I wear from my oldest son.  It was out of a quarter machine from Pizza hut no less.  I never take it off, not to do dishes, not to bath and guess what?  It still is in great shape and hasn't turned me green!  Just like my boys its solid and always there.  It didn't cost a lot but it makes me smile. My boys are amazingly easy to please in this same way, we can do anything and it doesn't have to cost anything and they are so very thankful!  They make me feel like I am a great mom, even when we argue or I am at my wits end at least one of them will offer up a hug or encouraging word and I know that things are still OK.  They are my mark on this world and its an amazing mark as they are great boys!

And lastly I nearly everyday wear a watch where the watch face is the yellow liver cancer awareness ribbon.  After seeing a pink one I complained that its "always the pink ribbon, always breast cancer" which then I felt horrible about complaining about.  After all breast cancer has touched people close to me as well.  But liver cancer took my mom, I wanted a way to mark that.  Lo and behold my wonderful adopted (not sister in law but its the boyfriend's sister) ordered me one and made me wonderful bands for it for my birthday.  Thats family right there, knowing what one wants and going to lengths to give that to them, knowing how much it would mean to me.

So, my trinkets are a connection to the amazing people I have around me.  And on sappy days those people around me mean more than anything.  I tried to take time today to let everyone of them know they were important to me and say thank you.  Have you done the same lately?  Its amazing what a simple thanks will do for your spirit....try it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Ronnie...you rock!

    What an awesome post...I love that you wear the ring. :)

    ReplyDelete