Tuesday, December 29, 2009

6 weeks.

Because apparently I am not going to stop counting how long just yet. A good friend who recently lost his mom said soon you quit counting days and start counting in weeks or months. Looks like it doesn't get better for awhile, I didn't really expect it to. So Tuesdays always bite me in the butt. Six Tuesdays ago, we lost mom.



Today the lady at daycare asked about Dad how he is doing. Then the zinger she said so what happened anyway what was wrong?! I hate that question, usually tears well up and I choke out a half an answer. Today I made it through. Today I was able to give her the rundown. Today, six weeks later, I was able to talk about liver cancer.



So, those here that don't know here it is. April 2009 mom went to the hospital sick as sick can be, had pneumia. While doing x-rays and test they found a "spot" on her liver. After testing they found that mom had liver cancer. Through the weeks she had various testing done and talked to all the Dr.s to find options. I know she talked extensivly to my dad about what she would be willing to do. On to Salt Lake to visit with Dr's there and found out she was a perfect canidate for a liver transplant, this would solve everything.



Many many long appointments later she is on the list, high on the list. So it was always a matter of waiting for that one all important phone call. Sure there was a lot to do in the meantime. There was a particular meeting we all had to go to one day, where we would learn about the actual transplant what all it entailed and what would happen afterwards. I had the day off planned and everything scheduled to do so. The day before I was leaving work and BAM! Some asshole came flying out of the parking lot and rearended me. My first thought was holy crap how am I going to get to Salt Lake now? I was furious, this was so dang important! Of course my second thought was, you freaking jerk I just barely mailed the 2nd payment on this car! And my third thought was OUCH this hurts ;) After a hospital trip in an ambulance, totally being miserable everything would work out, my aunt would take me to the meeting with the Dr and all would be fine.



We sat in the conference room and looked at how complicated the transplant was, found out how long mom would have to stay after, started making arrangments for when we got "the call!" Everyone walked out in high spirits, excited knowing this would work and as strong as my mom is she would bounce through it and fight and be ok.



The call! July 4th, 2009 we got the call. I was just loading up in my car to head home after a BBQ at my folk's house and my sister came running out to tell me they have a liver! Mom is second in line, they always have 2 people go when they have an available organ. We made some major league FAST time getting there everyone on the edges of their seats and saying some major prayers. Ugh I can't even tell you how long we sat in that emergency room waiting and waiting to see if it would be mom that got to go. Finally, very wee hours of the morning we went and got a room close to the hospital. More waiting, more phone calls, more anticipation and eventually heartbreak as we lost hope. Come to find out that liver waited a long time for a recipiant, they always let trauma's have organs first and there were two traumas that night. We went home one very dejected, very tired family. No liver this time but still optimism we said this was our trial run that we would know exactly what to do next time. I said ok I made my first big road trip all by myself and didn't get lost, next time we have this.....

So thats it for now, seems I can only do this a bit at a time. Told ya it was a journey and a process. Heck I couldn't even post this on a Tuesday they suck that bad!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ronnie, I'm so sorry!

    I'm proud of you for starting this blog...I hope it helps you heal.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete